Earth Day is just around the corner and Ocean Minded believes there is no better way to celebrate Mother Nature than helping keep her beaches, oceans, lakes and rivers clean. Discover 10 simple ways you can be Ocean Minded this Earth Day with tips from our environmentally conscious Brand Ambassador, Anthony Vela.
by Ocean Minded Brand Ambassador, Anthony Vela
Apathy and a lack of concern for the ocean environment seems to be universal, no matter where I travel. As a professional athlete, my career has allowed me to see some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, but unfortunately that is not always the case. I am also subjected to some of the most horrific beach conditions you could imagine…beautiful, pristine, beaches littered with trash.
As people, we are connected to many different aspects of nature and I think we should take our role in the environment seriously. Our goal should be to blend with nature as much as possible. We have to somehow change the path of apathy for nature that seems to permeate beaches all over the world.
Leading by example is a great start. I try and keep it simple because if a lot of people do a bunch of little things, it adds up. Try it yourself this Earth Day and implement at least one of these 10 simple ways to be Ocean Minded!
- Find a rubbish bin – Seems easy enough. But there are always those times where you just can’t seem to find a rubbish bin. Keep looking you will find one, or take it with you until you get home.
- Limit plastic water bottle use – There are some mind blowing numbers on the amount of plastic water bottles that are used per year.
- Use re-usable bags – Keep at least two re-usable bags in your car, that way you are ready for those impromptu shopping missions.
- Pick up trash that’s not yours– It actually feels good when you pick up trash that wasn’t yours. Try it sometime.
- Dump your used motor oil at a certified station – if you are handy enough to change your own oil, awesome. But try to take that extra step and dump the oil at a dumping station. You can find them all over.
- Dispose of used electronics to a place – Lots of electronics stores have electronics/battery drop-off bins.
- Be conscious of electricity use – Try to limit the use of lights and other electronics. Especially in summertime.
- Carpool – To work, to school, to the beach. Once a week if you can. Once every two weeks if you can. Or even once a month. Every little bit helps.
- Support environmentally conscious companies – There are certain brands that go the extra mile to take care of the environment. It would be nice if more companies adopted business models like this.
- Plant plants – It’s fun to plant something that you can eat. Some fruits, vegetables, and herbs grow very easily. Get you hands dirty and grow something that you can eat.