Spring has sprung and it’s officially time to get after it and celebrate World Health Day this Sunday, April 7, 2013. In honor of the World Health Organization (WHO), World Health Day promotes healthy living and focuses on a priority area of public health concern in the world. The theme for 2013 is high blood pressure and Ocean Minded Ambassadors, Hailey and Sierra Partridge have some helpful tips on ways you can lower your blood pressure by maintaining an active and healthy lifestyle. Spring into shape this World Health Day with the Partridge Twins!
We are both so lucky to have lived our whole lives along the coast of California. The California lifestyle to us is about living healthfully and enjoying everything that our beautiful state has to offer. Since not everyone has the opportunity to live in California or even visit it, we want to share a little slice of our California lifestyle with you. We will teach you what we do to stay in shape for surfing.
Exercising and staying in shape has always been a part of our lives ever since we were young. Surfing is our favorite form of exercise because it is so fun. However, we still have to cross train quite a bit in order to stay in shape for surfing when the waves are flat or if we’re away from the ocean for a long period of time.We like to vary our cross training routines so we don’t get bored doing the same thing all the time. We switch it up between stand up paddling, running, hiking, yoga, kickboxing, spinning and different group classes.
Six simple changes you can make to live a healthier lifestyle:
- Maintain a healthy diet, one must always plan ahead! For example, always have healthy snacks with you and have a well-stocked pantry so you can make a healthy meal even when you are short on time. We always have canned beans, frozen veggies, whole-wheat pasta, raw nuts, and frozen fish or chicken on hand to throw together a quick healthy meal.
- Always bring a workout bag with you, such as a wetsuit, swimsuit or your running shoes and work out clothes. You will be prepared to surf, swim or run where ever you may be.
- Sign up for a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) box. Some even deliver to your house so you can have local produce that is convenient and delicious
- Call a friend to go exercise or surf. It is always more fun to exercise with a friend. It also makes you accountable and less likely to back out at the last minute.
- Be grateful for everyday, every wave, every surf, and every moment. Gratitude will keep you happy which in turn will keep you healthy.
- Find an exercise that is fun for you so it doesn’t even feel like you are exercising. Our favorites are surfing, stand up paddling, yoga, kickboxing, spinning and hiking.
Get Moving this World Health Day and commit to doing one of these fun and healthy activities!
- Stand up paddle board!
- Walk on the beach and pick up trash as you go
- Walk or run with your own dog or borrow a friend’s dog
- Ride your bike to go surfing or to the beach instead of driving.
- Walk to your local farmers market