Join Ocean Minded on May 4, 2013 from 9am – 3pm in Newport Beach, California for the #1 voted philanthropic event of the year, Standup For The Cure, benefiting the Susan G. Koman for the Cure foundation. As an official event sponsor, Ocean Minded will be there, handing out festive “pink” trucker hats to participants, displaying the new Spring 2013 footwear line and hosting the official event beach clean up.
New for this year, Ocean Minded has also created their own team for the event’s Fun Paddle, in hopes to raise additional funds for Standup For The Cure. To join Team Ocean Minded, visit the fundraising page by clicking here and register for the event by clicking the green box that reads “Join Team and Register for the Event.” All team members who make a donation of $25 or more will receive a free Ocean Minded Trucker Hat and a pair of the new, Waveseeker Flip Flops.
If you’ve never paddle boarded before or don’t own your own board, don’t you worry! Stand Up For The Cure will be hosting a Standup Paddle Board clinic throughout the day by top international paddle board athletes, including the organization’s ambassador, Zane Schweitzer. Can’t attend the event? You can still join Ocean Minded and help raise funds for Standup For The Cure by making an online donation here (and receive your free hat and sandals too!).
Want more? In addition to the free sandals and hat by making a donation and joining Team Ocean Minded, the $35 entry fee will also get you a delicious lunch catered by Ruth Chris Steakhouse and a Barefoot Wines and Kona Brewing Company sponsored happy hour, featuring live music by Wheeland Brothers and Crimson Crowbar.
About the Pink Fleet Fun Paddle: Located at the Newport Dunes basin, the Pink Fleet Fun Paddle will take a 6K route from Newport Dunes, under PCH bridge, around Harbor Island, back under PCH and returning to Newport Dunes. Those paddlers who wish to take a more leisurely route will be able to enjoy the Newport Dunes circuit or paddle part way and turn around at any point and rejoin either of the race leaders. To add to the fun, all Pink Fleet paddlers, both men and women, are encouraged to dress to impress in festive pink fashion! That’s right boys, now’s your chance to wear pink and get away with it!
Together we can make a difference; together we can find the cure. We sincerely appreciate your support and involvement in this wonderful philanthropic event, benefiting such an amazing cause. For more information or questions regarding this event, please see the official Press Release below or visit standup-for-the-cure.org. For questions regarding Team Ocean Minded and joining or making a donation, please contact Lanette Jorgensen. See you out there!
Standup for the Cure to Hold Second Annual Award-Winning Breast Cancer Fundraising Event in Newport Beach Expects to raise $125,000 to fund 1,000 Mammograms
Organization Set World Record at Inaugural Event; Anticipates Increased Attendance
- Guinness World Record Set at Inaugural Event in 2012 – More than 700 participants were involved in The World’s Largest Stand Up Paddleboard Clinic.
- Standup for the Cure named Top Philanthropic Effort of 2012 by “SUP The Magazine”. The award honors a person or organization that exemplifies the Standup Paddleboard Industry’s ability to impact people’s lives in a positive way.
- SUFTC had 700 participants and raised more than $60,000 in 2012. anticipating more than 1,000 this year
- 2013 event is an event for everyone – Kid’s race, 5K fun paddle, live music, industry expo, SUP Lessons and Demos as well as a silent auction are scheduled.
- $35.00 entry fee includes Ruth’s Chris Lunch, Kona Brewing Company/Barefoot Wines happy hour, Victory KoreDry Jersey and a goodie bag and more.
- Cancer screenings – Breast, Colon and Skin cancer screenings available on-site.
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. – March 6, 2013 – On Saturday, May 4, 2013 Standup for the Cure will hold its second annual fundraising event at Newport Dunes in Newport Beach, California to support the Orange County Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®– every $125 raised will potentially save a life by enabling a mammogram. Entry fee for the event is $35 per person. The fundraiser is from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. with a clinic by top International paddleboards instructing the attendees, including the organization’s ambassador Zane Schweitzer. Irvine’s Ruth Chris Steakhouse will provide lunch and a Barefoot Wines and Kona Brewing Company will sponsor a happy hour that will have live music by Wheeland Brothers and Crimson Crowbar.
“We were thrilled with the success of the first event that raised more than $60,000 for our organization and are honored to have the event continue. Mammograms are vital for identifying breast cancer at an early stage, so this event really is a lifesaver,” said Lisa Wolter, Executive Director of the Orange County Affiliate of Susan G Komen for the Cure.
The event will take place at Newport Dunes, visible from Pacific Coast Highway, and will have a paddling course that will wind through the scenic harbor with a sea of pink paddlers.
“We’re expecting an even bigger crowd this year and have added new events that will appeal to participants of all ages including a kids’ relay, pet costume parade, and a sandcastle competition along with free life-saving cancer screenings. We’ll have beer and wine at happy hour with two bands – Crimson Crowbar and Wheeland Brothers,” said Judie Vivian, volunteer and founder of Standup for the Cure. “We truly will ‘Have Fun and Save Lives!” she continued.
Whether you’re a novice or an expert, Standup for the Cure events offer something for everyone. The event set a world Record at its 2012 inaugural event with more than 700 paddlers taking a Standup Paddleboard clinic led by Zane Schweitzer. Additional participating experts include Matt Hughes, Brendon Light, Jayson Campbell and Daniel Hughes.
Riviera Paddlesurf, Yolo Board, Rogue SUP, Starboard and others will supply loaner boards and demonstrations for new paddlers. Sponsors for Standup for the Cure’s 2013 event include: Riviera Paddlesurf; Maui Jim; Kona Brewing Company; Barefoot Winery; Ruth’s Chris Steak House; Ocean Minded and Victory KoreDry
“Standup for the Cure’s May 4 event is an excellent opportunity for families, friends and survivors to get together, have a great day filled with fun while raising money and ultimately save lives by doing something they love,” said event director Dan Van Dyck, whose mother is a 39-year breast cancer survivor.
- STANDUP PADDLEBOARD CILINIC taught by world-class Standup for the Cure ambassador including Zane Schweitzer. Other illustrious teachers include Matt Hughes, Brendon Light, Jayson Campbell and Daniel Hughes.
- SILENT AUCTION: Presenting Sponsor, Riviera Paddlesurf, has donated one of the limited edition Standup for the Cure paddle boards. Other items include SUP boards from Starboard, Boardworks and JP Australia and Pink paddles from Quickblade along with Maui Jim sunglasses, Disneyland tickets and Facial Laser Treatment.
- MUSICAL ENTERTAINMENT (2 Bands):
- Wheeland Brothers — Two Southern Californian brothers who grew up in Orange County. They combine the cool attitude and summertime energy of reggae with the down-to-earth, organic honesty of acoustic rock and ukulele lullabies. In 2012 Wheeland Brothers released their first album along with the music video for their first single, “Sand in My Sheets”
- Crimson Crowbar — Band member Frank Sims has recorded, toured and co-written songs with Mick Jagger, Stevie Nicks and David Lee Roth, among others and was a double Grammy nominee with Don Henley.
- FREE CANCER SCREENING: Screenings for the three potentially treatable cancers are available during the event – Breast, Skin and Colon. Cancer specialists from UCI Cancer Center and Komen supported Clinics will perform the screenings on-site.
- YOGA PADDLEBOARD CLINIC: The hottest yoga style is on a paddleboard—a yoga practice carried out on paddleboards in the water. A combination of standup paddling and yoga is known for giving the body a “core” workout because of the added challenge of having to maintain one’s balance while performing yoga poses. The clinic will be demonstrated by the Paddleboard
Bliss team from Orange County.
- FOOD AND DRINK: Irvine’s Ruth’s Chris Steak House will provide lunch; Happy hour with live music will be presented by Kona Brewing Company and Barefoot Wine to wrap up the day.
- NEW ACTIVITIES: The 2013 agenda include a Kid’s Relay, Sandcastle Competition and a Pet Costume Parade.
- “PINK” ATTIRE: Participants that register by May 1 will receive a complimentary custom Pink SUP Jersey from Victory KoreDry.
- PARKING: All day parking is available at Newport Dunes for $5 per vehicle
- “Dry” participants can take part in all festivities without getting on the water if they prefer